Just 0.003s separated the McAMS Yamaha teammates in the opening Bennetts British Superbike Championship SUPERPICKS Free Practice session as reigning champion Tarran Mackenzie launched to the top in the final minutes, whilst Jason O'Halloran crashed out unhurt.
O’Halloran had been leading the way for the majority of the opening session, but Mackenzie was able to move ahead by the narrow margin, with Bradley Ray completing the top three as he continued to push his Yamaha rivals.
Peter Hickman had a strong session on the FHO Racing BMW in fourth place, edging ahead of Lee Jackson on the Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki who completed the top five.
Leon Haslam returns to Bennetts BSB following his podium finish in last weekend’s Suzuka 8 Hour event; the VisionTrack Kawasaki rider held sixth place ahead of Luke Mossey who made his debut on the iForce Lloyd and Jones BMW.
The next two positions were held by former World Champions Danny Kent and Tom Sykes, with Kyle Ryde completing the top ten.
2014 Moto2 World Champion Tito Rabat made his Bennetts BSB debut, completing his first laps of the circuit on a Superbike with the TAG Honda team.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Thruxton, SUPERPICKS Free Practice 1:
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 1m:15.489s
- Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.003s
- Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha) +0.278s
- Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) +0.386s
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki) +0.453s
- Leon Haslam (VisionTrack Kawasaki) +0.730s
- Luke Mossey (iForce Lloyd and Jones BMW) +0.808s
- Danny Kent (Buildbase Suzuki) +1.006s
- Tom Sykes (MCE Ducati) +1.032s
- Kyle Ryde (Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha) +1.193s
For the full session result please click here