Jason O'Halloran delivered a determined race win in the second Bennetts British Superbike Championship race of the weekend at Donington Park. The McAMS Yamaha rider missed out yesterday by just 0.038s to Kyle Ryde and today he edged his rivals to become the fifth different race winner of the season.
O’Halloran had launched off the start to take the lead into Redgate for the first time from his pole position ahead of the Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha pairing of Bradley Ray and Kyle Ryde.
On the second lap, Ray claimed the lead; whilst behind Tommy Bridewell’s race was over on lap three after a crash at Mcleans.
O’Halloran was then under attack from yesterday’s eBay Sprint race winner, Ryde and he moved into second on lap three. However, there was disappointment for the local contender as he crashed out at Mcleans on the sixth lap.
The leading trio then became O’Halloran, Ray and Jackson as they had gapped the chasing pack. In the closing stages, the ‘O’Show’ though had the pace to have an advantage over Ray as he took his first win for McAMS Yamaha since Silverstone last year.
Ray maintained his position at the top of the standings with a strong second place ahead of Jackson, but in the chasing pack, the fight for fourth had become a five-way dogfight.
Peter Hickman was able to claim the position with three laps remaining after the FHO Racing BMW rider took advantage of the earlier battles between the group to bridge the gap and make the moves needed to claim his best result of the season so far.
Hickman got the better of Leon Haslam in the closing stages as the VisionTrack Kawasaki rider valiantly finished in fifth despite still suffering from his sprained ankle from his crash at Craner Curves on Friday.
Tarran Mackenzie celebrated a hard-fought sixth place on the second of the McAMS Yamahas as the reigning champion scored his best result of the season, holding off Christian Iddon and Rory Skinner, who had been in the mix throughout the race.
Ryan Vickers was able to break into the top ten in ninth place after making his way through the pack and Josh Brookes completed the leading ten riders for the MCE Ducati team.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Race 2 result:
- Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha)
- Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha) +2.563s
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki) +6.398s
- Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) +13.913s
- Leon Haslam (VisionTrack Kawasaki) +14.141s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +15.846s
- Christian Iddon (Buildbase Suzuki) +16.288s
- Rory Skinner (Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki) +16.774s
- Ryan Vickers (FHO Racing BMW) +17.492s
- Josh Brookes (MCE Ducati) +18.929s
For the full result please click here
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings:
- Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha) 138
- Lee Jackson (Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki) 109
- Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing UK) 107
- Kyle Ryde (Rich Energy OMG Racing Yamaha) 106
- Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 105
- Rory Skinner (Cheshire Mouldings FS-3 Kawasaki) 103
- Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) 67
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 64
For the full standings result please click here