Buildbase Suzuki’s Gino Rea added to his debut Bennetts British Superbike Championship race win at Donington Park yesterday by mastering the wet conditions in the final race of the weekend, holding off Christian Iddon and Lee Jackson for victory.
The race start was delayed initially with a heavy shower imminent and when the action got underway, it was held in wet conditions over a reduced 15-lap battle.
Championship leader Tarran Mackenzie got the best start off the line to lead into Redgate for the first time, but Rea was soon attacking and he moved ahead on the Buildbase Suzuki.
Iddon was also looking to close down the deficit to his rivals in the standings for VisionTrack Ducati and he also pushed McAMS Yamaha’s Mackenzie back a place into third by the end of the opening lap.
Rea was consistently holding off Iddon and Jackson, upping the pace in the closing stages to deliver a perfect performance that gave him his second win of the weekend. Iddon held on to second as he closed the gap to 15 points to the top of the standings as Mackenzie was forced out when a broken battery connector brought his R1 to a halt.
Jackson became the 15th different podium finisher of the 2021 season with his top three finish for the FS-3 Racing Kawasaki team, as the leading trio had a clear advantage over Tommy Bridewell in fourth place for the Oxford Products Racing Ducati team. Andrew Irwin meanwhile completed the top five finishers for SYNETIQ BMW.
Josh Brookes was the first of the Title Fighters to suffer a disappointing end to the race, crashing out unhurt at Craner Curves, ending his hopes of a late championship comeback. Glenn Irwin had to start from pitlane after a problem on the warm up lap and despite salvaging tenth, the Honda Racing rider is now also out of title contention, leaving six riders mathematically in the mix for the finale at Brands Hatch.
Ryan Vickers was able to get ahead of Peter Hickman for sixth place, whilst Jason O'Halloran was unable to capitalise on his McAMS Yamaha teammate’s misfortune to finish in eighth place, meaning he heads into the season finale now 10-points adrift.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Race 3 result:
1. Gino Rea (Buildbase Suzuki)
2. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) +2.635s
3. Lee Jackson (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +8.610s
4. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) +41.557s
5. Andrew Irwin (SYNETIQ BMW) +54.092s
6. Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +58.052s
7. Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) +1m:01.016s
8. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +1m:08.487s
9. Joe Francis (FHO Racing BMW) +1m:08.917s
10. Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) +1m:17.813s
For the full race result please click here
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Donington Park:
1. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 1127
2. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 1117
3. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) 1112
4. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 1106
5. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) 1061
6. Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) 1059
7. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) 1047
8. Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) 1041
For the full standings please click here