Tarran Mackenzie bounced back spectacularly in this morning’s Bennetts British Superbike Championship warm up session at Silverstone to set the pace by 0.124s following yesterday’s huge crash during the opening race of the weekend.
Mackenzie underwent a further rigorous assessment by the BSB Medical Team this morning after sustaining a fractured fifth metacarpal on his left hand in yesterday’s incident, and was passed fit to ride in warm up.
The McAMS Yamaha rider set the leading time early in the session and in the closing minute Gino Rea moved to second, but nobody was able to topple him from the top. The Buildbase Suzuki rider will start on pole position for the second race of the weekend later this afternoon.
His teammate Jason O'Halloran, who was left battered and bruised following yesterday’s opening clash was third fastest, climbing up the times with his final lap of the session.
Josh Brookes was fifth fastest on the VisionTrack Ducati as he fights for a Title Fighter position in the Showdown in the two races today as he sits just six points adrift of Bradley Ray in eighth place in the overall standings.
Tommy Bridewell was sixth fastest this morning on the Oxford Products Racing Ducati ahead of Lee Jackson, who is equal on points with Brookes ahead of race two.
Rory Skinner, Xavi Forés and Danny Buchan completed the top ten, in another extremely close session where the top 21 riders were covered by just 0.999s.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, warm up result:
1. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 53.515s
2. Gino Rea (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.124s
3. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.149s
4. Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +0.171s
5. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) +0.184s
6. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) +0.230s
7. Lee Jackson (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.246s
8. Rory Skinner (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) +0.271s
9. Xavi Forés (FHO Racing BMW) +0.318s
10. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) +0.351s
For the full result please click here