Christian Iddon returned to the top step of the podium in the Bennetts British Superbike Championship to get revenge for missing out at the season opener. The VisionTrack Ducati rider held off Jason O'Halloran and Danny Buchan to win the opening BikeSocial race at Knockhill.
At the start of the race O’Halloran had launched off the pole position to grab the lead ahead of Iddon and Buchan, but the order shifted as the SYNETIQ BMW rider moved into second on the third lap with a decisive overtake.
Meanwhile Iddon had grasped the lead, but the VisionTrack Ducati rider soon was relegated to second as Buchan hit the front of the pack on lap six.
As Buchan tried to make a break on his chasing rivals he saved a huge moment, when he tucked the front at the hairpin, and his incredible reactions meant he may have lost the lead but he was able to regroup from fourth place.
Iddon had taken command at the front of the pack, but O’Halloran was stalking him all the way to the chequered flag as the pair continue their duel from Oulton Park.
Peter Hickman had taken advantage of Buchan’s mistake to move up a place into a potential podium position, but a problem on the final lap meant he was forced to retire the FHO Racing BMW, handing the final top three place back to his BMW rival.
Bradley Ray had a strong performance in fourth to score his best result of the season so far for the Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW ahead of rookie Rory Skinner, who delivered a stellar performance to claim fifth place in only his fourth Bennetts BSB race with FS-3 Kawasaki.
Tarran Mackenzie bounced back from a crash in qualifying to score sixth after a battle with Ryan Vickers on the RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki in the closing stages, as Tommy Bridewell, Lee Jackson and defending champion Josh Brookes completed the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Knockhill, BikeSocial Race 1:
1. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati)
2. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.348s
3. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) +0.445s
4. Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW) +4.185s
5. Rory Skinner (FS-3 Kawasaki) +4.634s
6. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +6.021s
7. Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserve Kawasaki) +6.181s
8. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) +7.504s
9. Lee Jackson (FS-3 Kawasaki) +9.565s
10. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) +10.709s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Knockhill Race 1:
1. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) 95
2. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) 85
3. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 44
4. Danny Buchan (SYNETIQ BMW) 41
5. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 40
6. Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) 40
7. Lee Jackson (FS-3 Kawasaki) 32
8. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) 31