Tommy Bridewell claimed the opening pole position of the 2021 Bennetts British Superbike Championship season at Oulton Park this afternoon, holding off Christian Iddon and Tarran Mackenzie in the SUPERPICKS Q2 session.
The opening SUPERPICKS Q1 of the season was a close fought affair as the participating riders pushed to be inside the top six and to take their place in Q2 with the SUPERPICKS 12. However, at the chequered flag it was Kyle Ryde, Ryan Vickers, Josh Owens, Joe Francis, Rory Skinner and Andrew Irwin who made the cut.
Owens had a costly crash in the final minute of the SUPERPICKS Q1 session at Cascades, meaning he didn’t line up in the second stage despite making it through as 18 riders went head-to-head for the pole position.
Iddon had started the session strongly and was leading the way as the session entered the final ten minutes, but then Bridewell snatched the advantage at the top of the times.
Jason O'Halloran was also upping the pace on the McAMS Yamaha, however he will start fourth for this afternoon’s opening race after a technical problem with six minutes remaining sidelined him from a real time attack at the end of SUPERPICKS Q2.
Bridewell held the advantage at the chequered flag with Iddon and Mackenzie completing the SUPERPICKS 3 front row.
O’Halloran’s issues means he heads row two, maintaining his place ahead of the lone FHO Racing BMW of Peter Hickman; his teammate Xavi Forés has been declared unfit with a scaphoid injury to his right hand.
Ryde completes row two ahead of his teammate Bradley Ray, Honda Racing’s Glenn Irwin and defending champion Josh Brookes. Gino Rea completed the top ten for Buildbase Suzuki.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, SUPERPICKS Qualifying result:
1. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Products Racing Ducati) 1m:34.494s
2. Christian Iddon (VisionTrack Ducati) +0.173s
3. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +0.197s
4. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +0.209s
5. Peter Hickman (FHO Racing BMW) +0.263s
6. Kyle Ryde (Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW) +0.279s
7. Bradley Ray (Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW) +0.323s
8. Glenn Irwin (Honda Racing) +0.391s
9. Josh Brookes (VisionTrack Ducati) +0.391s
10. Gino Rea (Buildbase Suzuki) +0.457s